The Chartiers-Houston Community Library is now a PA Forward Bronze Star Library!
What does it mean to be a PA Forward Bronze Star Library? PA Forward is a statewide initiative created by the Pennsylvania Library Association to refocus and reinforce the ways in which libraries can support Pennsylvanians in leading successful, productive lives. This initiative redefines the library’s role in our Commonwealth within the context of five essential literacies that Pennsylvanians must attain in order to succeed as citizens, parents, students, employers, employees, and consumers.
The Five Literacies:
- Basic Literacy – Libraries can push Pennsylvania to achieve one of the highest
literacy rates in the country, a trained and skilled workforce, and a growing
economy, tax base, and population.
- Information Literacy – Libraries can help all Pennsylvanians learn how to use
online resources and current technology to improve their education, to
enhance their job skills, to develop their personal lives, and to fully participate
in a digital society.
- Civic and Social Literacy – Libraries can play an important role in helping citizens have the knowledge and skills they need to improve their lives, to participate and contribute effectively to their community, government, and society, and to connect with one another through discourse.
- Health Literacy – Libraries can play an important role in helping citizens manage their own and their family’s well-being, and empower them to be effective partners with their healthcare providers so they can live longer, more productive lives.
- Financial Literacy – Libraries can help citizens become informed consumers and guide individuals, small businesses, and other organizations to contribute to the economic vitality of their community through innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic development.
The Bronze Star award acknowledges the work the Chartiers-Houston Community Library has done and continues to do in service of helping our community members attain these literacies. From storytimes to yoga classes, computer training sessions, book clubs and information sessions, and more, the library is playing an important role in helping our community members succeed through its services, which supplement the books, ebooks, databases, and online resources the library provides.
In short, the PA Forward program helps the library better serve the members of the Chartiers-Houston and surrounding areas. You can find out more about PA Forward here http://www.paforward.org/. Got an idea about a program or service that can help promote one of the five literacies? Or a story to share about how the library has helped you? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.