The mission of the Washington County Library System is county-wide development, coordination and promotion of public library services. The system acts as an advocate for library and information services needs of all the people in Washington County. The system cooperates with the Washington District Library Center, provides leadership and technical assistance for improvement of library services through strengthening of the system’s libraries and library resources.
The mission of The WCLS is to inspire lifelong learning, advance knowledge, and strengthen our communities.
To deliver on this promise, we rely on three great resources—our staff, our collections, and our physical and virtual spaces—as well as on a set of core values.
1. We inspire lifelong learning by creating more able learners and researchers. We:
- Teach learning and information-navigation skills
- Provide tools, resources, and great places to work
- Engage in great exploratory conversations
- Ask and answer questions that encourage patrons to challenge their assumptions
- Support creativity, research, and problem-solving
- Bring people together to spark creative synergies and learn from each other
2. We advance knowledge by providing free and open access to materials and information that reflect New York’s global perspective. We:
- Identify, acquire, and preserve items that enhance our unique areas of expertise
- Connect with other organizations whose materials complement our own
- Inspire interest, expand horizons, and enrich perspectives
- Build tools that allow us to connect with the world in our areas of expertise
3. We strengthen our communities by promoting full citizenship and participation in society. We:
- Promote the development of key skills and capabilities
- Provide dynamic resources to help patrons understand and engage in society
- Create safe and reliable places where we and our patrons can enjoy, honor, celebrate, and engage with our communities
- Offer unique and authoritative materials of historical importance
- Bring our diverse communities together